Home / UK Breaking News / King’s Vatican visit postponed due to Pope illness

King’s Vatican visit postponed due to Pope illness

The King and Queen have postponed their state visit to the Vatican, after doctors said the Pope needed to rest following a recent illness.

The visit to the Vatican was postponed by “mutual agreement”, according to a statement released by Buckingham Palace on Tuesday.

The wider state visit to Italy will continue in April with some alterations to the planned programme.

“Their Majesties send The Pope their best wishes for his convalescence and look forward to visiting him in The Holy See, once he has recovered,” the palace said.

There will be disappointment that the Vatican elements of the visit will no longer take place.

The trip was planned this year as it is Jubilee Year for all Catholics – something that only happens once very 25 years.

An audience with the Pope and a service in the Sistine Chapel were key elements of the visit to the Vatican planned for the start of next month.

Just last week, Buckingham Palace said that the King and Queen shared their “hopes and prayers” that the health of Pope Francis would enable the trip to go ahead.

Royal sources said the “outlook was positive” although also warned that the programme would be reviewed on the advice of the Pope’s medical team.

This is the first state visit for the king and queen this year. They will also celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary while in Italy.


View original article

exeter.one newsbite last confirmed 1 week ago by Anna Lamche

Tagged:

Leave a Reply

Trending Categories

We Don’t Play That Game

Pick Your News Date

April 2025
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930